Friday 13 April 2012

Cloud Forensics

Two nice words. Do you agree with me? Yes or no or unsure (there is no way in this world you can get everyone to agree with you).

I deliberately put these two words rather than Cloud Computing Forensics because I’m lazy to punch the keyboards.

No…no…no…

If my blog posting is with these three words it might further complicate the topic. Normally, Cloud Forensics is widely referred to.


Whatever it is…digital forensics practitioners…we have got a big problem here!

The field is getting broader and harder every each day due to the evolution of technology. People want more out of the Internet.

But at the same time more complicated digital forensics cases would emerge because some unscrupulous people want to achieve something out of it.

The weaknesses and vulnerabilities of the system are manipulated for self gain. The agenda/motive is always to monetize and merely disrupt or tarnish individuals and organizations reputation.

The committed crime background is broad too.

We haven’t finished on the technical part of the Cloud Computing Forensics and now come the legal part.

I always mentioned in my lecture that digital forensics is not all about computer technicalities but also the legal technicalities.

The systems are widely dispersed and cumbersome and now the legal part is another encumbrances.

I’m not quite sure on how to conduct research on Cloud Computing Forensics but I bet it is going to be painful.

Furthermore, it is more painful when you want to submit paper for journal publication of this subject. I’m sure the reviewer will ask where is the novelty that he or she could understand here. They can become so confused.

They will ask you again “what can you generalize here? What is the conclusion?”…and bla…bla…bla…then you are in jeopardy.

For a kick start (new researchers who have the aspiration to engage into Cloud Computing Forensics) or for those already progressing might want to review this literature by Taylor et al. [1] from JMU, Liverpool.

So, what say you?

Btw, I’m a Liverpool FC fan (lived in the UK/Liverpool for 5 years). Sometimes my friends and relatives ask me, why do you go to Liverpool University? Is it because of football or the university itself? And the funny thing, up until now, I can’t give the answer.

But for Cloud Forensics, we definitely must find an answer.

[1] M.Taylor, J.Haggerty, D.Gresty and R.Hegarty. “Digital evidence in cloud computing systems.” The Computer Law and Security Review, pp. 304-308, 2010.